Sunday, April 14, 2013

More Bitter than Sweet – Boston Marathon 2013


I would never have considered myself a runner until I completed the Disney World Marathon in 2012.  Even then, it was hard to believe that someone who had previously been allergic to the sport, was now a runner.  That marathon was my first full marathon, and I had run my first half about four months before.  The Boston Marathon was seemingly an impossible task, and the ultimate goal.  How was I supposed to go from a 4:19:21 marathon time to under 3:35?  And not get injured?

Yet, after the Disney Marathon, I knew it was not the end.  After taking a few weeks off for recover, I set my sites on the Green Bay Cellcom Marathon (Wisconsin) to try to qualify for Boston.  I ran a half marathon in between with a time under 1:45, so I knew it was at least possible to get under 4:00 and just try to keep getting better. 

However, the Cellcom Marathon was a disaster.  In May, in Wisconsin, there was a heat advisory at the temperature at the start of race time was already about 70 degrees and climbing fast.  I did not think I went out too fast, but when the full and half marathoners start at the same time, it’s hard to know who you are pacing with and what race they are pacing. 

The first half of the marathon was fine, but at about mile 14, it all started to fall apart.  The temperature was getting hotter, and there was little shade to hide from the hot sun.  The water stops started to have ice delivered for the water, and very few people were not stopping for water.  I remember very little from miles 16 to 20, other than the bridge in De Pere was very long, there was a little girl handing out Coca-Cola to runners, and the hot blacktop trail from miles 17 to 20+.   There was more than one time on this blacktop trail that I thought I was going to pass out, and I started walking in the sun areas and running in the shaded areas.

This was only my second marathon ever, and I did not know that marathons could be cancelled until I got stopped and pulled off the trail at mile 19.90.  One of the volunteers said the marathon was cancelled and we were to get back on the bus to go back to Lambeau Field and the finish line.  So I stopped, and looked around confused.  There were still people running and not stopping, so I got back on the trail to run to my dad who was waiting at mile 20.  He said that if people wanted to continue they could, so I restarted my Nike + and walked the last 6.2 miles.  At some point, my iPhone died, so I will never know my time, but at 20 miles, it was 3:06.  I think it took at least an hour and a half to two hours to walk the rest of the race because I could not accept the medal if I did not finish.

As mad as I was that the race was called, I am sure it was the right decision (though it still ticks me off a little bit the way it was handled).  But something happened during those 26.2 miles that pushed me, motivated me, and made me more resilient.  Someone made the decision to tell me (and the other runners) that they could not do something.  I don’t like being told no and I don’t like being told that I can’t or something that I worked for is not possible.  The training for the next marathon began the next week, and I had one focus – Boston.

After several short distance races – 5ks and a 10k – and a half marathon at Disneyland, it was time for an emotional Fox Cities Marathon.  I will always consider this marathon and half marathon something that my mom would have and could have done if she were still alive.  Since this marathon is very close to the anniversary of her death, I decided that Boston will happen when it’s supposed to happen, but this marathon was for my mom. 

It was a chilly September morning in Menasha, Wisconsin for the start of the Fox Cities Marathon in 2012, but I was focused and very excited to be running through my city and an area familiar to me.  The first half of this marathon was great.  The fan support, the relatively flat course, and even the weather, were all perfect.  At about the 12 mile mark was the cemetery were my mom is, and running past that spot, and seeing my dad and pup Dublin lined up on the sidewalk, got me though the next difficult hilly miles.

After the first half, the marathon course started to go against the wind, and it was getting tough with little fan support on some of the country roads.  By mile 20, things started to hurt and pushing forward was getting harder.  Just past mile 23, my calf muscles were so tight and sore that they felt like someone had poured cement into my legs, and I had to stop and stretch them out.  I looked at my pace at this point and realized all I had to do was a 10 minute mile or better and I would qualify for Boston.  I kept pushing on, doing a run/walk, but my the pain in my legs was awful.

With one mile left, I was getting very disappointed in myself as it all seemed to be slipping away.  It was hard to run for even two straight minutes, but when I saw the finish line, I gave it a final push, but it was not going to be enough.  I missed qualifying for the 2013 Boston Marathon by 36 seconds, with a finish time of 3:35:36. 

However, this was a bittersweet moment.  At 34 years old, I was at the last age of the age bracket that had to get 3:35 or better to qualify for Boston.  So as someone turning 35 in 2013, and I will be 35 at the 2014 Boston Marathon, I do qualify for 2014.  Missing Boston and making it at the same time, again, bittersweet.
I know there are others that miss the qualifying time by seconds or minutes, but those 36 seconds pushed me through the 2013 Disney World Marathon to get a better time of 3:33:43.  Now I get to register in week one.  Sometimes things don’t always work out the way we want them too, but in the end, they work out for the best. 

Good Luck and Best Wishes to everyone running the 2013 Boston Marathon!  See you in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment